Trinity Lutheran Church is a member congregation of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod (LCMS), an association of about 6,000 congregations located throughout the United States. We confess the faith as revealed in the Holy Scriptures and in accordance with the Confessions of the Evangelical Lutheran Church.
TRINITY LUTHERAN PASTORS
75 YEAR HISTORY OF TRINITY LUTHERAN CHURCH
The Early Years
The Lord has guided and blessed the Trinity Lutheran Church congregation in its 60 years of ministry to its members and the community. Anniversary celebrations are excellent opportunities to briefly reflect on God’s rich grace and mercy and His special blessings. The history of Trinity reflects the Lord’s special presence and His blessings for the last 60 years.
The history of Trinity Lutheran Church dates back to 1947. At that time, Rev. R.
F. H. Pralle of Brazilton, Kansas, and many members of his congregation felt the need for a Lutheran church in Girard, Kansas, and took a canvass of the Girard-Arma area.
This canvass proved to be so successful that the Kansas District Mission Board decided to open a mission congregation in Girard. On October 16, 1947, a resolution was adopted to organize the new group to be named Trinity Lutheran Church. On November 13, 1947, the constitution was adopted and signed.
Eighteen families from the Zion Lutheran Church at Brazilton were to make up the nucleus of this new project of faith. The original congregation consisted of these families: Mr. and Mrs. Otto Bailey, daughters Sharon and Joan; Mr. and Mrs. Edward Bennefeld, son Gary; Mr. F. W. Bennefeld; Mr. Wm. T. Bennefeld; Mr. and Mrs. Amos C. Bollwinkel, daughter Barbara; Mrs. J. H. Bollwinkel; Mr. and Mrs. Irwin Bolze, children Merlin, Duane, Wanda, and Kathleen; Mr. and Mrs. John F. Bruenjes, sons LeRoy and Allen; Mrs. John Hartog, children Beverly and John; Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Hess; Mr. and Mrs. Lester Hess, children Ronald and Judy; Mr. and Mrs. Raymond Murdock; Mrs. Frank O’Bryan, son Francis; Mrs. Anna Price, daughter Ester; Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Reith, daughters Do- lores and Ernestine; Mr. and Mrs. Alvin Selle, daughters Pauline and Kathy; Mr. and Mrs. Herman Sho- maker, grandson Tommy Bivens; and Mr. and Mrs. George C. Viets, children Joan, Marlin, Deloris, and George Elliott; a total of 37 communicant members and 55 souls.
The officers of the newly organized congregation were: Elders - Irwin Bolze, John C. Hess, Alvin Selle; Trustees - Amos C. Bollwinkel, Raymond Murdock, John R. Bruenjes; Finance Committee - William Bennefeld, Lester Hess, F. W. Bennefeld; Secretary - Otto Bailey; Treasurer - Elmer Reith; Chairman - John C. Hess.
The Rev. Edwin W. Licht of Aliceville, Kansas, was called to be the first resident pastor of the church. Rev. and Mrs. Licht and son David arrived in Girard in mid-February, and on February 22, 1948, Pastor Licht was installed before an overflow crowd of 238 people. The members of the Episcopal church kindly rented their church and parsonage to Trinity for a minimal fee to assist in this new endeavor. Their generosity was often shown to the congregation throughout the long, patient years of its infancy. Trinity’s appreciation for the acts of Christian love and kindness shown by the Episcopal church can never be ex- pressed with words.
Under the able leadership of Pastor Licht, the congregation made steady progress.
A Sunday School was organized; Saturday instruction classes for children were started; the Trinity Lutheran Guild was organized on February 27, 1948, with sixteen members; a Walther League was formed March 24, 1949; and adult instruction classes were all part of the congregational growth. On June 13, 1948, Mrs. C. F. Martens was confirmed at her home. On September 19, 1948, the first instruction class of adults and children was confirmed and received into membership. This group consisted of Albert Meyer, Della Meyer, Marie Hill, Walter Humble, Norma Jean Humble, Lorene Humble, Bet- ty June Humble, Vida D. Viets, Joan
F. Viets, Clyde Lamb, Patricia Ann Cunningham, Jean Cunningham, Mary F. Kichler and Allen C. Bruenjes. The first wedding celebrated in the new congregation was that of Peter John Kichler and Esther Maxine Russell on December 26, 1948. The first child baptized in the congregation was Tommy Joe Bivens on April 8 1948, and Linda Lou Shomaker was the first infant baptized on November 7, 1948. The first children’s confirmation class received into membership on June 3, 1951, included: Cora Kichler; Mil- ton Lentz, Gary Bennefeld, Marlin Viets, Shirley Humble, Raymond Meyer, and Merle Hill. In just this one year it became increasingly evident that a permanent house of worship would be needed.
The congregation acquired a building site in September 1948 with the aid of a loan from the Kansas District Lutheran Mission Board. Many plans were studied by the congregation during the coming years. After five faithful years of service, Pastor Licht accepted a call to Oberlin, Kansas, in September 1952. Rev. Paul Frank of Fort Scott, Kansas, was asked to serve as vacancy pas- tor. Under his leadership, the congregation selected definite building plans. These were ap- proved in a meeting of the members of the Kansas District Mission Board. A loan of $20,000 was received from the Mission Board through its Church Extension Fund.
In 1952, the Trinity congregation rented 120 acres three miles south of Girard City Cemetery to raise funds for the new church. The members who were farmers used their farm equipment, worked the ground, and planted and harvested the grain. Members who could not assist in the actual farming purchased seed and fertilizer. The landlord received her one-third of the grain as rent. The Trinity Lutheran congregation received the tenants share of two-thirds of the grain, with no expenses deducted, for the building fund. The members operated this farm project for three years. The Trinity Guild served lunches and refreshments weekly at the Pittsburg Auto Auction for several years. They also served dinners for the Girard Lions Club and many farm auctions. The members of Trinity pledged their financial support over and above their regular giving for the building fund.
Each gift, great or small, blessed by our Lord, helped in this effort. Volunteer work by members and friends of Trinity helped to erect a fine church at a nominal cost. Uel C. Ramey of Wichita, Kansas, was the architect and Paul E. Kennon of Fort Scott was the builder. Ground-breaking ceremonies were held in April 1953. On August 9, 1953, the corner- stone was laid during an impressive service held during the twilight hours. Rev. R. F. Pralle, founder of Trinity Lutheran Church, Girard, delivered an inspiring message.
On the following Sunday, August 16, Rev. Gerhardt G. Rische, a graduate of Concor- dia Seminary, St. Louis, was ordained and installed as pastor. On December 6, 1953, dedication services were conducted in the new edifice, with Rev. Gerhardt G. Rische as officiant and the Rev. Edwin W. Licht preaching the dedicatory sermon. Rev. W. H. Meyer, president of the Kansas district, spoke in the Vesper Service. Robert Viets served as organist for both services. In the evening, the “Choristers” of St. John’s College, Winfield, Kansas, presented a program of sacred music with Mrs. W. H. Wente as guest organist. The building committee for the new church building was: Chairman, John C. Hess; Walter Humble; John Bruenjes; William Bennefeld; Amos Bollwinkel; Henry Lentz; Rev. Paul Frank; and Rev. Gerhardt Rische.
In March 1954, Rev. Rische accepted a call to Fort Scott, and Rev. Fred Pralle of Cha-
nute, Kansas, served as interim pastor until the installation of the Rev. Otto Mueller on July 31, 1955. God had continued to grant steady growth to Trinity Lutheran Church. The first infant to be baptized in the new church was Doris JoLynn Ahrens on December 6, 1953. The first children’s confirmation class, consisting of Barbara Amy Bollwinkel, Ronald Hess, Twilla Mae Humble and Deloris Jane Viets, was received into communicant membership on June 13, 1954. The first wedding to be celebrated in the new church was that of Le- roy J. Bruenjes and Nancy E. Nepote on April 23, 1955.
In the summer of 1955, a decision was made to build a parsonage adjacent to the church. In August the first nail was driven by Mr. C. F. Martens, age 90, the church’s oldest member at that time, assisted by Pastor Mueller. The dedication of the new home was held in October 1955, with Rev. and Mrs. Mueller be- coming the first residents. During the nine years of Pastor Mueller’s leadership a Lutheran Layman’s League was organized on December 23, 1955, and an Adult Bible Class was be- gun in November 1962. Vacation Bible School also became an annual event on the church calendar. Rev. Mueller served as pastor until his retirement on April 12, 1964, at which time he and Mrs. Mueller moved to Herington, Kansas, to make their home. Rev. Walter Snyder of Pittsburg, Kansas, and the Rev. Rudolph Gehle of Immanuel Lutheran Church, Hepler, Kansas, served the congregation until late November 1964.
Rev. Paul N. Guebert was installed as the pastor of Trinity Lutheran Church on No- vember 22, 1964. Rev. and Mrs. Guebert had four children, Linda, Julie, Elaine, and Tim- othy. The forming of a Ladies Bible Study group in December 1964 and the organization of a Mary and Martha Society in July 1966 further added to the service of the church to its members and the community. New altarware was purchased in 1974, with the old altarware later being given to the new church in Erie. The crucifix was received as a gift to enhance worship. Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Meyer bought and presented the house and lot adjacent to the church as a gift to the church to be used as additional Sunday School space and for church parking. Pastor Paul Guebert resigned as pastor of Trinity Lutheran Church on December 8, 1974. He and his family moved to California. Rev. Mark Hoelter of Immanuel, Hepler and Zion, Brazilton served the congregation as the vacancy pastor from 1974 to 1976. Trinity Lutheran Church wanted to call a Seminary graduate, but there were none available. A number of pastors were called from the field, but none accepted.
The Missouri Synod was experiencing some difficult times. A result of this Synodical conflict was the walk-out of the majority of the faculty and students of Concordia Seminary, St. Louis. Those who walked out formed the Seminary-in-exile (Seminex) located in St. Louis. There were graduates available for placement from Seminex; however, they were not certified for ministry in the Synod. After much discussion Trinity called a Seminex graduate, Arthur Wehrmeister, who accepted the call, and was ordained and installed in May 1976. He and his wife Joy had one daughter, Krista. Pastor Wehrmeister served the congregation as an uncertified pastor until 1980 when he was certified for ministry in the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod by Synod’s Colloquy Committee. Girls were given permission in 1975 to serve as acolytes. In 1976, women were given suffrage which allowed women voting privileges and the privilege of holding all the offices of the congregation except the po- sitions of chairman, vice chairman, elder and the office of the pastor.
The Lutheran Book of Worship was purchased to replace The Lutheran Hymnal, and air conditioning was installed in the church the summer of 1976. The mortgage on the first church building was paid off and the mortgage document was burned in a special ceremony during a worship service in late 1976. In 1982, Pastor Wehrmeister accepted a call to Indianapolis, Indiana, where he con- tinues to serve. Pastor James Cooley of Fort Scott served Trinity as vacancy pastor. In the spring of 1982, the congregation called Gregory S. Young, a graduate of Concordia Semi- nary, St. Louis. Pastor Young and his wife Debbie moved to Girard where he was ordained and installed during the summer of 1982. Fans for the nave were given to Trinity by AAL Branch 1562 in 1985 to help circulate the air during services. Hanging lights were given for the nave to improve lighting. A picto- rial directory was published and new altar paraments were received that same year. Trinity’s constitution and by-laws were revised in 1985 and later approved by the Kansas District. A new copy machine was purchased in 1986. In 1987, Pastor Young accepted a call to Fresno, California. Rev. Chris Schonberg of Zion, Pittsburg served Trinity during its pastoral vacancy from September 1987 to March 1989. Trinity congregation called a graduate. Eric J. Stefanski of Concordia Seminary, Fort Wayne, Indiana, was placed at Trinity. He was ordained and installed as pastor of Trinity in April 1989. Altar rails were installed later that year. Pastor Stefanski served Trinity until March of 1991 when he, his wife Pat, and their daughter moved to Hutchinson, Kansas. Rev. Velmer Goebel of Zion, Pittsburg served Trinity as vacancy pastor from March 1991 to Au- gust 1991. Pastor David Totsky of Immanuel, Hepler and Zion, Brazilton served as vacancy pastor from September 1991 through December 1992.
In the fall of 1992 contact was made with Eldor W. Meyer, former Nebraska District President of Seward, Nebraska, regarding the possibility of serving Trinity part-time during his retirement. Eldor, Edna and their family had been members of Trinity from 1950 to 1958. They had been active as lay members in the ministry of the congregation. The Meyers moved into the parsonage at the end of February 1993. Pastor Meyer be- gan serving as Trinity’s pastor on March 1, 1993. He was later installed by Pastor Eugene Pennekamp of Messiah, Pittsburg. Eldor and Edna’s family consists of their four children: Dorene Niederklein, Marilyn Yost, Delois Lav- erentz, and W. Stanley Meyer and their families. Pastor Meyer retired August 16, 1998, and continues to reside in Girard. Trinity Lutheran Church Charitable Trust Fund was established and the youth group reorganized during 1993. The Board of Elders recommended and the congregation ap- proved the register of friendship which serves as the process for communion registration and worship attendance and gives the opportunity to follow up on the visitors who register. The Lutheran Worship was purchased to replace the Lutheran Book of Worship. A choir, which greatly enhances the services, was also organized under the direction of Dorene Niederklein.
Sadly, Zion Lutheran Church, Brazilton, the mother church of Trinity, realized it was time to close its doors. They celebrated 78 years of ministry with the final worship service of praise and thanksgiving on October 31, 1993. At their request, 28 members of Zion were transferred to Trinity. They are as follows: John and Clara Black, daughter Kacie; Esther Bloomcamp; Richard Bloomcamp; Dorothy and Mildred Boettjer; Iona Bredehoeft; Lylin and Carolyn Cowan, children Matt, Steffanie, and Nathan; Marvin and Matilda Huning; Wilber and Clara Knopp; Marilyn Scales; Richard and Dorothy Steffens, children Richard, Jr. and Marjorie; Anna Lee Viets;, Elda Viets; Terry Viets; Tim Viets; Mike Viets; and Edna Wiechert. Zion Lutheran Cemetery and school building were deeded to Trinity. The building continued to be used for Zion LWML meetings, quilting, and serving dinners for the Ruritan. The cemetery, located at the east edge of Brazilton, is now known as Zion-Trinity Lutheran Cemetery. Zion’s cemetery fund was given to Trinity to be used for maintenance.
The Lord’s blessings were obvious and visible in attendance and spiritual growth. Pastor Meyer desired to slow down but saw the opportunities and challenges for ministry which he continued to accept. In order to keep up the momentum, Pastor Meyer sug- gested to the congregation that they consider the seminary vicar- age program and be involved in training pastors. This would add a full-time person on staff and permit Pastor Meyer to pace himself while keeping the ministry moving forward and upward at Trinity. Trinity Lutheran accepted the op- portunity to join the vicarage program requesting their first vicar at the January
1994 voter’s meeting. Joe Davis was placed at Trinity as the first vicar, serving from August 1994 until August 1995. He and his wife Irma moved to Duluth, Kansas, where Pastor Davis was ordained and installed at St. Paul Lutheran Church. He was a pastor there until 2005 and now resides in Sedalia, Missouri. Richard Andrus was placed at Trin- ity as the second vicar, serving from August 1995 until August 1996. He and his wife Cecilia have two grown children, Mark and Andrea. Pastor Andrus was or- dained at Palmer, Alaska, and installed at Memorial Lutheran in Bremerton, Washington, in June 1997. He has since served congregations at Immanuel Lutheran in Elsworth, Kansas, and at Zion in Newton, Kansas. Mark Wenzelburger, the third vicar, served Trinity from August 1996 until August 1997. He and his wife Karen have two daughters, Megan and Kimber. After completing his studies, Mark accepted the call to serve Trinity in Girard, Kansas, where he is presently serving. Arthur McCormick, the fourth vicar, served Trinity from August 1997 until August 1998. He and his wife Madeline have four grown children: Keith, Joseph, Gail and Ryan. He is presently serving Immanuel Lutheran Church in Breckenridge, Oklahoma. The vicarage program was a very special blessing for Trinity and its ministry. The high level of commitment and involvement from the vicars and Pastor Meyer intensified the ministry to members and the community.
The Building Project (1996)
The Lord tremendously blessed the ministry and members of Trinity Lutheran Church. The congregation experienced tremendous growth. The worship attendance aver- aged 117 in 1994 and 130 in 1995 while the comfortable seating capacity of the church was only 115. As membership continued to increase and enrollment in the mid-week classes ex- ceeded 60, the need for better education space was clearly indicated. The need for a new and enlarged worship facility became a common topic of conver- sation. Another concern often discussed was the inadequacy of the basement for Sunday School, mid-week classes, and fellowship with its water problem. In October 1994, the con- gregational voter’s assembly addressed the need for a new larger worship center and bet- ter education facility. They authorized cottage meetings to be held within the congregation which would include a survey addressing needs, relocation versus remodeling, and possible financial support. Sixty-five percent of the membership attended a cottage meeting which was conducted by Pastor Meyer. The results of the survey reflected a desire to interview architects and develop plans. Strong financial support of approximately $37,000 per year above regular offerings for current expenses was also indicated. The congregation wanted to do what was best for the ministry, either relocate or remodel.
The Vision Growth Committee was established in January 1995 and met for the first time on February 1, 1995. The members of the committee included Chairman Randy Vogts, Bill Larmer, Bob Wedell, J. D. Holloway, Gene Kmiec, Terry Viets, and Ernestine Kunshek. John Lehman and Pastor Meyer were ex officio members.
Goodman Church Builders, Inc., of Joplin, Missouri, was hired as the architect. In order to gain additional floor space, the decision was made to remain at the present location, remodeling and expanding the present facility. The architectural plans were approved by the com- mittee and accepted by the congre- gation in July 1995. Trinity congregation terminated the agreement with Goodman Church Builders in October 1995. The Vision Growth Commit- tee desired to work directly with the general contractor and subcon- tractors and have more freedom to make changes as the project pro- ceeded. They believed this would make the members feel better and more comfortable about volunteering for various tasks. Jeff Leslie served as the Volunteer Coordinator. Steve Wider was chosen to be the builder and general contractor. Also contracted were: Kirk Conroy, electrical; Don Vinardi, heating and air conditioning; Rick Coomes, plumbing; Don Norris; framing; and Steven Frakes, masonry.
The groundbreaking ceremony was conducted on February 25, 1996, with a high level of excitement and support for the building project. Construction began in the spring of 1996 with several delays due to wet weather. The Vision Growth Committee became the Building Committee when construction began, meeting weekly through completion of the facility. They had a visible presence throughout the construction, working very closely with the general contractor. The last worship service in the original church was held on May 19, 1996. This had been the worship center for Trinity Lutheran Church since its day of dedication, having served the members and the community very well for 43 years. Countless blessings were received through the worship in the original church. Now it was time to move on to a larger and more functional facility, better able to meet the challenges of this decade and the next century.
The congregation worshiped in the Performing Arts Center of Girard High School during the construction period, which lasted from May 26 to December 15, 1996. This served as an excellent place for worship. Sunday School was canceled during construction while mid-week religion classes were conducted at the middle school from September through December, using six classrooms. Trinity expressed its thanks and appreciation to the Board of Education of U.S.D. 248 for the use of these facilities. The original church, with the bricks removed, was left as built in 1953. It now serves as the fellowship hall for the enlarged and remodeled facility with the new worship center added to the south and offic- es and a kitchen to the north. The nave is in the form of a cross, reminding us of the central focus of the message that Christ Jesus is the Sav- ior of the world. The center section has two rows of nine padded pews each and will seat 144 people.
The transepts (wings) on the right and left, seating 45 people each, have padded pew chairs which keep the sanctuary more flexible for use during Bible study and special meetings. The sanctuary, including the transepts, will comfortably seat 234. Gracing our chancel are the altar, pulpit, and baptismal font. They were made in modified Greek design and are constructed of solid red oak with recessed panels as well as the sound system cabinet at the back of the sanctuary. These were designed, made, and do- nated by William Larmer. The altar is free standing, which allows the officiant to face the people for certain parts of the worship and serves as the table from which the Sacrament of Holy Communion is celebrated. The pulpit is designed to allow the preacher to move about freely. It serves as the lectern and is a symbol of the Word of God. The paraments for the al- tar and pulpit are new and indicate the seasons of the church year. The baptismal font gives focus to the Sacrament of Holy Baptism through which persons receiving this washing also obtain the forgiveness of sins and membership into the Body of Christ.
Spreading the focus for worship over the entire chancel are two faceted glass win- dows. The one on the west depicts the symbols for the Sacrament of the Altar and the one on the east, the symbols of baptism. The crucifix and the Trinity windows above the altar oc- cupied the same position in the original chancel. The Trinity windows symbolize the Triune God, while the crucifix gives witness of the crucified Christ who died for our sins. The same candelabra and communion candle holders are still being used with liquid candles replacing the old wax ones. The light from the candles continues the witness that Christ is the light of the world. The three faceted glass windows in each transept indicate the Triune God we worship, surrounding the congregation with symbols of the Holy Trinity.
The large chancel allows for better movement of the officiants and provides addition- al space for the children’s Christmas worship service, Vacation Bible School closing service, and other special occasions. The organ from the original church continues to add beauty to worship services which were also enhanced through a gift of a piano.
The narthex, which is the former nave, serves as the fellowship hall and overflow seating. The beams, lights, west entrance, and two original pews, now located on the west of the narthex, serve as a reminder that this was the former worship center. The pastor’s office and the working office are new. The kitchen, which was formerly located downstairs, was relocated to the new addition north of the narthex. The lower level was completely remod- eled into six permanent classrooms, while new handicapped accessible restrooms were built on the main floor near the west entrance. The altar and baptismal font from Zion Lutheran Church, Brazilton was placed at the end of the narthex/fellowship hall. They remain as a memento of Trinity’s mother church and its members. The altar and baptismal font were re- finished and repainted in January 1997. The main entrance to the church facility was relocated to the east side of the building with a wide ramp leading to the parking area making the church handicapped accessible. The two houses south of the church were purchased and demolished to provide additional parking. Parking was made available near the front en- trance for the elderly and the handicapped. Volunteer time contributed by members during construction was tremendous with no need for personal recognition for tasks or projects undertaken by individuals. The total time given was hard to determine but estimated at approximately 6,000 hours, amounting to thousands of dollars in savings. All gifts, whether monetary, time, furnishings, or memorials, were given to the glory of God for the ministry of God’s people. To God alone be the glory. God will bless both the gift and the giver. The entire cost of the building project totaled $335,000, with financial support having been tremendous. Members had exceeded the amount they indicated in the cottage meetings held in 1995. With this level of ongoing financial support, the indebtedness of $165,000 will be eliminated sooner than amortized. The dedication services for the new and re- modeled church facility were held on February 23,
1997. This was a special day in- deed in the life and ministry of Trinity Lutheran Church. With 396 people attending the worship ser- vice at 10:30 a.m., Pastor Eldor W. Meyer preached the sermon and officiated at the Rite of Dedication. Pastor Meyer had also served as pres- ident of the Trinity congregation at the dedication of the original church on December 6, 1953. An open house was held at 2:00 p.m. for members, friends, and the Girard community with over 400 people in attendance.
The congregation experienced special blessings from the Lord throughout this build- ing project. There was growth in servanthood, sharing, love, and concern. A high level of cohesiveness developed among the members. The common goal of the building project kept all eyes focused together and forward. A special measure of joy was evident among the members. The Trinity congregation gives thanks to God for the strong support and involve- ment of the members in this project.
Blessings in the 50th Year
The first baptism in the new church was that of Kathryn Bridget Conroy on February 23,1997. The first wedding to be celebrated in the new facility was that of Marilyn McFar- land and Patrick Damman on June 14, 1997. Over the first 50 years, the Aid Association for Lutherans Branch 1562 provided matching funds benefits for people in need in the amount of over $100,000. These benefits were for the members of Trinity, non-members, and community needs. Lutheran Brother- hood also provided matching funds benefit opportunities. Christian education has been considered very important for children and adults alike throughout Trinity’s history. Sunday School, Vacation Bible School, and mid-week school are offered for the youth. These three agencies continue to be an outreach arm of the con- gregation providing prospects for new members. An excellent staff of teachers and helpers provide quality Christian education for members and guests. Trinity youth fellowship meets on a regular basis either at the church or a member’s home. Eight lay adult counselors work with the pastor or vicar.
Many Bible study opportunities are provided for adult members and others. Wednes- day morning Ladies’ Bible Study met in the homes of its members and was led by one of the ladies. The Friday morning Ladies’ Bible Study group met at the Hiway Inn with the pastor or vicar leading the study. These two groups met bi-monthly for many years and provided spiritual strength for themselves and the congregation. A Men’s Bible Study group met twice a month at the Hiway Inn. A six or eight week session of Bible study is held at the church each fall and spring. A Couples Fellow- ship group met once a month from September through May where a carry-in dinner was en- joyed and a topic or Bible study was lead by the pastor or vicar. The Tender Loving Care (TLC) group for 60+ met once a month where they also enjoyed a carry-in dinner. The topic or Bible study was lead by the pastor, followed by games, videos, etc.
On February 27, 1997, the Lutheran Wom- en’s Missionary League (LWML) celebrated its 50th anniversary of carrying out the Lord’s work. When it was organized, there were four- teen members and all-day meetings were held on the last Wednesday of each month. Monthly dues of 25 cents were collected. Of the charter members, one is still active and one is an associate. The LWML was still active, with 16 members and five associate members. The group met on the first Monday evening of each month from September through June. A topic tak- en from the Monthly Quarterly was studied and discussed. Mites were collected and given to support mission projects of the Lutheran Women’s Missionary League. The LWML had the responsibility of taking care of the altar, candles, and flowers and preparing for commu- nion. In December, the members invited their spouses, families, or friends for a dinner and white-elephant gift exchange. The ministry during the anniversary year had its focus on the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. This was accomplished through the 294 members of which 232 are communicant members. The average attendance of the Sunday worship services was 173, which was an all-time high. A strong attempt was made to make worship “user friendly,” meeting the changing needs of the members and community, while continuing to deliver God’s word and promises.
During the 50th anniversary year for Trinity Lutheran congregation, four significant events took place. First, the dedication of the new worship facility on February 23, 1997, was a special high point. Second, the congregation had a pictorial directory made during the summer of 1997 to assist the members in becoming more familiar with each other during this golden anniversary time. Third, an anniversary booklet was printed which gave the 50 year history of the congregation and showed many of the special blessings given by God to the members and their ministry. The golden anniversary worship service was held on Sunday, September 28, 1997, with Rev. Howard J. Patten, President of the Kansas District, preaching the anniversary sermon. A catered meal was served in the high school cafeteria for members, former members, relatives, friends, and guests.
Blessings of Trinity (1998-2007)
After nearly six years of dedicated and faithful service, Pastor Meyer retired on Au- gust 16, 1998. His leadership over those years brought about the involvement in the seminary vicarage program, the reorganization of the youth group, the organization of the choir, the establishment of the Trinity Lutheran Church Charitable Trust Fund, and the tremendous increase in worship and mid-week class attendance. He conducted the first series of cottage meetings of which there were sixty-five percent attendance. From those meetings came the building of the new worship center which increased the church’s seating capacity from 115 to 234. Pastor Meyer was and still is a great blessing to all at Trinity.